Come and enjoy our wonderful pavilion and recreation ground. After six years of fundraising, one year of Covid and lots of inflation, we were delighted to get it built in 2022 and opened in early 2023, 100 years after the village first obtained the land.
‘The Fern’ cafe is a wonderful addition to the village and the lounges are available for hire for all sorts of events. Click here …
The incredible growth in membership at our sports clubs was the main reason for the project: our old building was bursting at the seams. These are the websites for the clubs …
The land was first leased as a recreation ground from the Blackdown Estate in 1923 and the following year a wooden pavilion was built.
Villagers raised money to purchase the ground after WWII for £900! A Trust has owned and managed the site on behalf of the village ever since. A new pavilion was opened in 1971 and extended in the 1980s.
Fernhurst Recreation Ground Trust (FRGT) secured grants and donations to improve facilities over the years, including tennis courts, cricket nets and a new, level and draining football pitch. The final part in the jigsaw was a new building and fundraising began in 2017.
FRGT appoints a management board (Executive Committee) which includes representatives from FRGT, the village and the three clubs.